Your Snapper really is one smart little device. It’s actually a mini computer which uses near field communication (NFC) technology to draw power from the Snapper reader when you tag on to a bus, or pay for parking, taxis or a cable car ride.
In the half second or so that you touch your Snapper to the Snapper reader, the reader:
- powers up your Snapper
- checks it’s a valid card
- makes sure your Snapper hasn’t been registered as lost or stolen
- checks what kind of Snapper it is (i.e. child or adult)
- checks if there are any outstanding penalties issued to your Snapper
- checks if you have sufficient funds loaded on your Snapper to pay the minimum fare
- tells your Snapper where you boarded the bus
- deducts the minimum fare from your Snapper
- powers down your Snapper.