Snapper is the electronic smart card payment option for the Greater Wellington Region. Whether you are using the bus to travel every day or just occasionally Snapper is a great way to pay. Just tag on when you board, and tag off again at the end of your trip. Snapper has been making bus travel in Wellington a breeze since 2008, making thousands of people’s daily travel quicker and easier.
Changes in the Greater Wellington Region
What buses use Snapper
Metlink buses in the Greater Wellington Region
Snapper is available on all Metlink buses in the Greater Wellington Region.
- Wairarapa bus routes
- North Wellington
- Porirua bus routes
- Kapiti bus routes
For more information about the Metlink bus routes available in your area visit the Metlink website.
NZ Bus Wellington services- Until 2nd December
The Wellington Airport Flyer is an express bus service that operates between Wellington Airport, Wellington City and Queensgate – Lower Hutt.
Metlink passes will not work on these services.
The service operates:
- Every 10 minutes* from Wellington Airport to Wellington Railway Station (*Weekdays 6.30am to 9.00am and 2.00pm to 7.00pm). Approximately every 20 minutes at all other times.
- Every 20 minutes from Queensgate – Lower Hutt to Wellington Airport via the city.
What buses do NOT use Snapper
Mana, NZ Bus and New Zealand Coach Services (NCS) will provide some commercial routes (listed below) that are independent of Metlink’s Greater Wellington regional bus network. As independent commercial services, the fares and ticketing of these transport companies may differ from Metlink services.
Check out the full list of independent services that do not use Snapper here.
Why should you use Snapper on the bus?
Snapper is a smart way to pay because:
- it’s convenient – no need to fumble around for cash in your pocket or wallet. There are many ways to top up your Snapper card and you can register your card to protect your Snapper balance if your card is lost or stolen
- it’s cheaper – you’ll pay at least 25% more using cash than with a Snapper card
- it’s faster than cash – no need to tell the bus driver your destination, or to wait for the ticket or change. Just tag on and off with your Snapper – but please do still take the time to say kia ora to the driver!